Helko Werk Black Forest Woodworker Axe
Helko Werk are a German axe manufacturer who have been producing traditional German axes since 1844.
The Black Forest Hatchet continues their tradition and is lightweight and beautifully crafted, with a traditional wide-bit German woodworker blade.
These hatchets are made in Wuppertal, Germany, near the country's famous Rhein River Valley. The Rhein was a historically significant source of trade and growth for civilisations in the region throughout the early and later medieval periods.
Cutting axes like these were a daily necessity for people carving out towns and villages in heavily forested regions along the Rhein River Valley.
The Black Forest Woodworker was originally designed for the renowned Black Forest of Germany. It is the quintessential tool for the experienced woodsman. This axe's compact size bestows substantial versatility, allowing it to be used as both a lightweight work axe and a dependable packing tool. The widened blade allows this axe to perform exceptionally well as a cutting tool, while still being able to handle moderate splitting work.
Comes with a standard top grain American cowhide 6-7oz leather adjustable sheath.
Head Weight 1000g / Gross Weight 1500g / Handle Length 60cm
• C50 high grade carbon steel
• Open die drop forged by hand, heat treated, and oil-hardened
• Approximately 53-56HRC (Rockwell)
• Hand ground and sharpened bit / blade
• 'Helko' crown mark hammered into cheek
• Crafted in Switzerland from Grade 'A' American hickory
• Individually selected for grain orientation and density
• Hand finished with boiled linseed oil
• Traditionally hung using softwood wedge and round steel ring wedge
It is illegal to supply a knife or blade to anyone under the age of 18. Woodland Ways actively checks the details of all orders for knives, and other edged items. Should we be unable to confirm your eligibility, you will be asked to provide proof of age in the form of a photocopy of your drivers licence or passport.
Please include your phone number with your order.